Friday, November 26, 2010

Feeding the Hungry in real life.

I just got home from my weekly mountain bike ride at Lake Natoma. I ride 22 miles out to Lake Natoma, then ride the 12.5 mile dirt loop with friends and finish off the whole event with beers and brats at a local eatery. Then I ride the train back home.
Tonight on the train home a fellow got on with burlap bags full of cans and bottles. He asked me what time it was. I told him it was ten till five. His heart sank a bit, I could tell. I asked if he was in a rush to hit the recycling center. He said they closed at 5:00. I told him we would probably hit his station right at 5:00 and if he was lucky he could catch the guy before he leaves. Then I held up crossed fingers and he nodded acknowledgment. As the ride progressed, I watched him disassemble 15 cigarette butts and roll his own from the dregs. I felt bad seeing this and asked him what the value of his haul was. He told me $7.00. I knew if the recycling center was closed, which is very likely at 5:00 on Black Friday, he would have to tote that stuff back home unrewarded.
I don't usually give money away, but I asked him if he wanted a couple bucks. He said yes and I gave him what I had. My last three bucks. It was almost as though a load was lifted from him when I handed over those three bills.
I wish people didn't have to suffer and want.

No comments:

Post a Comment