Sunday, January 23, 2011

Appropriate actions in friendship.

Let's jump in the Way-back Machine to December 31, 2010.
The New Year's Eve Party had been cancelled due to some permitting issues and we were all taking refuge in the lobby of the Sheraton Grand Hotel. Lots of us knew each other. One gal in particular was someone I knew from years ago. We had dated a little and it just didn't pan out. No harm, no foul. It just didn't work. We both moved on. She moved on to be married to a fellow and move to South Carolina.
When we were introduced by mutual friends, we recognized each other immediately and struck and instant rapport. We were getting along famously! Had we gotten along this well before, dating would have turned in to much more.
The night went one and I was drinking Manhattans. Making my way around to many different groups as I do, I kept coming back and chatting more. As the drink flowed and we both became more intoxicated, we got more and more friendly. I knew she was married and I wasn't trying to pick up on her or anything, but somehow she ended up sitting in my lap with my hand between her legs.
We were being inappropriately friendly with one another. We didn't want each other and there wasn't any kissing or anything like that. We just got caught up in the moment. It was harmless and mostly innocent. Of course there was an attraction between us, but her husband was right there...watching his wife snuggle up to some stranger. Faux pas!
At some point I moved on to see other people and upon my return to that area, her husband was there with another friend. She was somewhere else. I sat down and tried to join the conversation and was almost immediately informed that I better get the hell out of there right then. I had no attachment to that seat or his company, so rather than get in a fight in a hotel lobby on New Year's Eve, I walked across the room and continued to party with other people who were there. The event had so little significance for me that I never even gave it another thought.
The next day when I was processing pictures from the event, it all became clear to me. There was shot after shot of me and this guy's wife being way too friendly with each other. No wonder he was pissed off. I'm lucky he didn't break a vase over my head or something. I can't blame the guy at all and I offer my apology.
Like I said, we just got caught up in the moment, but I need to be a little more cautious of the sensibilities of the people around me because anyone who saw this pic, would think this gal was my date. This would be no problem with a single gal, but we crossed the line and didn't even realize it.
Inappropriate! Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment