Saturday, January 1, 2011

Friends!

I've signed on for National Blog Posting Month and the topic is Friends! So let's talk about friends. They come in all types, shapes and sizes. Today I'd like to talk about types of friends and what they mean to me.
Friends
For me, friendship is transient. Friends from years ago are no longer. Some died, some changed in ways I could not condone and some decided they didn't like me any more. Very few did things that made me abandon them. Some people become friends for just a few months, some for just a few years. I take what I can get and cherish it while it lasts because eventually it could fade. When it does, I'm saddened by it, but I learned long ago not to let it tear me up inside. Most of my friendships that end do so because the other person decides that I was thinking something they could not stand. When that happens, I don't know how to deal with it. People don't realize this but if they need my help, all they have to do is ask and I'll do whatever I am able to assist. I also do a lot to hold up the friendship. After a while, if it looks like it's a one sided friendship, I stop making the effort and it evaporates.
Facebook friends!
These are typically my closest friends. Any of my Facebook friends are welcome to my private email address, my cell phone number and are welcome to call me any time they need help. These are people who I know well enough that I would do them a favor on a moment's notice. People whose foibles I'm willing to overlook. This is my self-selected family and I love them. It's very likely I'm closer to most of them than they are to me, and that's OK.
Yelp Friends!
These are people whose writing I admire, or who admire my writing. Specifically my reviews of businesses. Some of them I know personally, some I don't. Some are fans of mine and I am a fan of some of them. Sometimes it's mutual. Always, my Yelp friends are people I'm willing to have some personal interaction with and I'm open to becoming closer friends with them.
LinkedIn Friends
These are people whom I admire professionally and I want to glom on to their notoriety for my own personal gain. I'm happy to let them glom onto mine (such as it is) and I would do whatever I'm able to help them out.
Foursquare Friends
These people are in a unique category. I want these people to know where I am and they are welcome to pop in any time they see me checked in on Foursquare. If I send my location to Twitter also, the whole world is welcome to join. I only accept Foursquare friend requests from people I have actually met in person, but I send friend requests to people I want to meet. Celebrities like Leo LaPorte, Dick Debartolo and Gary Fisher. People I admire and would like to become friends with.
Twitter Friends
Twitter friends post links to things I like to read or things I want to hear about. Some are my personal friends and their tweets come right to my cell phone. Some, like the Sacramento Police Department, also come right to my cell phone so I can keep abreast of where the drunk driving spot checks are. Some of these people get unfriended because they run spambots and their twitter stream is nothing but thoughtless recommendations to follow everyone they follow...every five minutes all day long!
Instructables Friends
People who build things. I admire their creativity or they admire mine.
I don't know what other kinds of friend there are, but I know they'll surface sooner or later.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Marsh! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem was written by my good friend, Peter Keenan, as a Christmas gift for my daughter, Lauren, in 1996 -- and I thought it appropriate for the blog:

    "Good Friends"

    Like an old, tough, weathered vine, we've grown
    One wrapped 'round the other
    Tightly twisting, turning, weaving
    Climbing ever upward through the years.
    Long ago discovering
    That friendship isn't purchased
    Like a fresh bouquet of flowers
    Cut and wrapped in fancy ribbon
    Given hastily, sometimes.

    Nothing that I did could make you like me
    Nothing that you did could make me care
    The hardest thing we had to do
    Was like ourselves, I think
    And we found friendship's all about
    Two human souls turned inside out
    Starting scared and full of doubt
    Sharing laughs and cries and pouts
    Leaning hard on one another

    Like an old, tough, gnarly, weathered vine
    Bending, mending, friending through the years.

    ReplyDelete