Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What do we do for each other?

With all the friendships we have, what use are they? What do we do for each other?
I have a friend who only calls me because she knows I’ll say something to lift her spirits. She also comes over for the same reason. I have a friend who only calls me so he can rant about Twitter or Facebook. Then he brings beer over to attempt to bring the point home. Another only calls when he needs help fixing his bike, then he comes out to ride with me. Yet another calls when he needs help figuring out how to use his computer, then he gifts me with the product of his labors. I have friends who call when they want to hear my voice and I have friends who never call at all.
I have a friend I only call when I need my grammar checked or I miss hearing her voice. Most of my friends are pretty smart so I end up calling quite a few of them for advice on all manner of subjects. Some of them own things I want so I call to find out where they got theirs and if it was the best place, or should I go somewhere else?
Some friends are txt only. When I call, it always goes to voicemail, but they’ll immediately txt me back and keep the txt conversation going for hours. I get their undivided attention…in 30 second chunks. Then there are message board friends with whom I engage in debate...often until they become irrational and lose control. That's always funny.
Winery friends; cycling friends; cooking friends; running friends or inventing friends. It seems I have friends for every reason. Or do I? Where are my car washing friends? What about my roof gutter cleaning or leaf raking friends? Or my floor mopping, oil changing or ironing friends?
At least I have my dish washing friends.
In the end, helping my friends and making their lives better is very rewarding for me. It's almost like volunteering. In fact, I would rather be on the "giving more" end of things for that very reason.
Do you need a hand, my friend? Call me. I'll help if I'm able.

No comments:

Post a Comment