Thursday, January 27, 2011

Do you have artist friends?

I think you would be surprised.
I used to work with a rather plain fellow. He was short, and bald, and pretty geeky. He was a good technician. He was actually a great technician! He knew the math. He knew the science. He even knew some good jokes. But the day he offered to help us move a piano, we all got a big surprise! We showed up at a coworker's house with a truck. We loaded the piano into the truck. Then he sat down at the piano, in the truck, and began belting out the swingin'est tunes you have ever heard. Whodda' thunk it? We knew this guy for years, and nobody knew that he could play piano. Some of us were even pretty close to him. Still, none of us knew that he could play piano. How many hidden virtuosos do you know?
You know how some people doodle during meetings? I work with the fellow who does that. One day I saw what he was doodling.
Who knew?
Many of you have seen my work, but that is because I show it to you. I suspect most people out there don't make the effort of showing what they do. I think people put forth a creative effort in what ever way they are able.
Take the time, make the effort to find out what your friends are up to. Find out if they are on Twitter. Follow them. I know someone who has recently taken to writing haiku. She posts them on Twitter every day. If you are reading this, it's likely you know her also. I won't give her Twitter handle out, but I frequently re-tweet her haiku. I am on Twitter @bikegems.
We all have friends who are artists in the kitchen. A lot of them are on Twitter too. It's a great place to keep tabs on your friends. Especially those who wish it.
Some of our friends use their body as a canvas. Whether it be literally applying art to their flesh, or sculpting their muscles into a work of art, they are artists too. Once upon a time I was married to an artist. Her art was her makeup, hair and nails.
I think we all have friends who are secretly artists of some sort or another. I hope to persuade you to find out what the artistry of your friends is. Try to convince them to bring it out into the open.
The best definition of good art is: "any piece of work that induces an emotional response." Even if you hate it! If it reaches inside you, grabs hold of something, and gives it a big twist... it's good art!
Don't let the art of your friends languish. Even if you have to pry it out of them, bring it out into the light for all to see. That's what friends do.

No comments:

Post a Comment