Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Relatives, are they friends?

Are your relatives your friends? Are they really? Or are you just telling yourself that because that's what you're "supposed" to do? Do your relatives constantly do things that you would kick someone's ass over?
I met a gal a few weeks ago and she described her relationship with her relatives as one that teaches her forgiveness....over and over, and over, and over, and over. She literally said "over and over" five times. Her family were NOT her friends. They were just a bunch of hateful assholes who thought that had some god-given right to treat her like shit. You may have some of these too.
I don't. People who deliberately treat me badly don't get a place in my life and it doesn't matter who they are. This is why I'm estranged from my sister. You won't hear me say this very often, but what a fucking bitch! With friends like her, who needs enemies? Screaming. Anger. Physical assault! Fuck that! I've seen her maybe three times in the last 20 years. Prior to that it had been a good ten years and I didn't miss her once. We tried to bury the hatchet, but there just isn't any interest from either of us to even make an effort. I suspect my brother feels the same way.
A few years ago I had lunch with my brother's wife. Three or four days later he called and left me voice mail informing me that I was not to call him or come around him any more. As near as I can tell I said something about his childhood that was just too much to bear. I was somewhat wounded by that, and I tried to find out what the issue was for several months. In the end, if someone doesn't want me around, I'm not going to keep trying.
I never even felt like my parents liked me very much. They really didn't do a lot to prepare me for the world. All the skills I have (such as they are), I developed on my own.
I had a half sister who died in the 80's. I liked her, but she left when I was pretty young. Apparently my dad didn't like her. I'm actually pretty close with her daughters. They're the only blood relatives who feel like family to me. We're in touch. We visit. We like each other. This is what family should be. I have friends with whom I'm this close too. These are the people I call my family.
I suppose if my brother called and wanted to re-establish communication, I would try. I still have no idea what I did to piss him off five years ago.
Anyway. Most of my relatives are not my friends. I would urge you to take a look at your's. If you're like most folks, a lot of your relatives aren't your friends either.

No comments:

Post a Comment